Friday, March 19, 2010

Baby Back Ribs


Today is my sabbath day and a friend is coming over for dinner and a movie. We are having baby back ribs (recipe below!).

Yesterday I made pork chops for a bit of a crowd. I love to cook on my day off and love even more to cook for my friends. I think it is hysterical when people think they are friends but do not show up physically (unless they live far away!). It takes effort and planning and a decision to say yes to a friend and no to many other possibilities for anevening - and yet showing up is what makes a relationship.

My concern is that there is so much counterfeit "relationship" out there. Looks like it, smells like it, sometimes even feels like it, but unless we are able to physically be with each other, along with the sacrifices that demands, I wonder if it is a relationship or simply a friendly acquaintance. And a friendly acquaintance is not, in any way, a bad thing. But it is not a friendship. And I wonder if divorce rates and adultery would be quite so high if actively and carefully nurturing of friendship happened more consistantly.happened by showing up - by self-offering - by personal sacrifice of "I" to "we."

When I look at our shy, longing God and I look at Jesus' life and death and life - and when I look at the primary design of humans as being made in their "image," all I can see is the importance of self-offering and sacrifice between friends and lovers.

We are such a wordy society - spinning phrases and lines and spewing words by the mile. But it is deeds that seem to show me who is whom and what is what. When my friends show up- physically arrive and spend valuable time, the relationship moves forward and deepens. When they do not, it gets what it gets - which, sadly, is not much. And that is fine. Some fruit needs to die on the vine so that other fruit can live and flourish!

And this is my rib recipe:

Baby Back Ribs

Cut a rack or racks of ribs it into about 5 rib chunks, so that it will fit into a pot. Fill the pot with water with salt, pepper corns, bay leaves and onions and bring it to a boil.
Place the ribs sections into the pot and boil it for 45 minutes.
After the ribs boil for 45 minutes, take them out, drain and dry them and do a dry rub or sauce as you like.
Cover them with tinfoil and refrigerate for several hours. (if you do this part the previous day or morning)
Remove from refrigerator and cook them in the oven on 250°F for 3 hours or 200 for 4 hours, then remove the tinfoil from the top, and broil or hot-grill sear them for 5-10 minutes for a crispy rib. Eat with Cornbread and salad!

No comments:

Post a Comment